[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re:aries/triangulids showers

Bill from Philly<<
 Could somebody tell me if the peaks are actually 11/12, 12/13, or 13/14
 for these showers.<<

Bill,
Pick any of those days you want and a few more...your guess is as good as
anybody else's? There isn't even any certainty about a radiant location or if
a radiant really exists. Estimated velocity seems varied. There are no meteor
photographs that I know of that can be said is belonging to this "shower" with
the questionable radiant locations. The original three "discoverers" didn't
plot any of the meteors. Since after 1993, there doesn't appear to be any "re
occurance" of a "shower" in that area. As for determing the peak of this
"shower"..dot it would help to have a radiant location, meteor velocities and
perhaps some photographs and several confirmations with plots by other
observers first? I personally think the original observers saw some decent
sporadic activity inbetween casually observing with their telescopes and
jumped to the conclusion of a new shower. There might be some weak activity
originating in the Triangulum area, but to call it a shower with very little
reliable data is putting the cart before the horse. September has a normal
high rate of sporadic activity...dot it could have very easily been a series of
chance alignments to the general area of Triangulum and Aries to give the
impression that something is going on? I'll be out there plotting and
operating my cameras at least tonight and tomorrow night during the dark hours
to see if I can get any impressions of a radiant location. Hopefully others
will do the same?
GeoZay