[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 1998 Leonids Live!

Folks,
Joe Rao sent me the following message from Bing Quock of the San Francisco
Planetarium. If anyone is interested please contact Bing. His address is at
the end of the message.
George Zay

         " I have been contacted by a meteor researcher at NASA who is
          planning to observe the peak of the Leonids from a plane out
          of Okinawa on November 17th.  This peak will be during
          daylight hours in the U.S., and the observing session is
          expected to take place from about 9:30 a.m. PST to 2:00 p.m.
          PST, with the maximum at about 11:00 a.m. PST.  He is
          negotiating to see if they can broadcast a live-feed from
          the plane, which will have a camera pointed straight up from
          the aircraft and have a 30-degree field of view.  I
          volunteered (silly me!) that the whole planetarium community
          would probably love to carry it, and he asked me to survey
          my colleagues, just so he can get some idea of the level
          of interest.  He doesn't want his e-mail system to get
          swamped, and I'm trying to figure out how to avoid
          having that happen to mine, but here goes:

          If you/your institution would be interested in carrying a
          live feed of the Leonid meteor shower from Asia during the
          calculated peak on November 17th, please let me know so I
          can convey some sense of the level of interest to him.  I'm
          only compiling a rough number, so kindly keep your responses
          brief.

          Please note that this whole thing is still in the planning
          stages and that the availability of this feed has not been
          finalized, so this is NOT A SURE THING.  An indication of
          how much interest there is out there will certainly help him
          negotiate permission for feed, and if they can pull it off,
          it sure could be neat!

          Bing Quock
          Morrison Planetarium
          San Francisco