[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Interesting Question

GeoZay>>As the meteor plows through the atmospheric atoms, they ionize
along the meteor's path...that is the atoms lose some electrons and become
charged particles. The process causes them to emit light. The ionized atoms
will immediately recombine with any loose electrons they encounter. This
happens quite fast. When it happens they no longer emit light<<

After sending my post, I re read it and noticed a little anomaly....I believe
the light is emitted when the ionized atoms recombine with an electron...not
when the atom looses the electrons (ionizes)? Some of our more enlightened
folks probably could straighten me out on this part?
GeoZay