[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Over Los Angeles/San Diego Sonics 9/10/98?

Sometimes the light comes on a little late after flipping the switch...but
eventually it does. A few minutes ago while shaving, for some reason I was
thinking about observing tonight and my mind drifted to my last night that I
observed. The same evening that the fireball over Los Angeles occurred. I did
not see the fireball because I was napping prior to my planned observations
which were to begin shortly after 8 pm. I just recalled that during my nap, I
was disturbed by 3 or 4 sonic shocks. They weren't as loud as the thunderous
one I heard with Lunsford a few years ago...but loud enough for me to sit up
and look around wondering why anyone would be blasting at this time of the
evening and for what reason in this area? The shocks were a few seconds apart.
There was not any rumbling sounds to accompany it....just sudden single
shocks. When I sat up, I didn't see anything and so didn't make any connection
that a fireball had passed over the region. It was approximately within the
same time frame that the fireball event occurred. It was definitely twilight
and not dark. I did not look at my watch simply because I didn't suspect the
cause could have been a fireball. I was more thinking along the lines that
someone was using dynamite for some reason?
George Zay
Descanso, California