[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Some Aries-Triangulids Seen Aug. 12/13

   I was out for a little more than three hours the night of August 12/13,
and unlike Zay, I saw four members from this minor meteor shower. They were
all plotted, and all had the correct speed and path length to be considered
associated. To me four meteors in a few hours makes a radiant, albeit a weak
one. Plus, the position of the radiant agrees within a couple degrees with
the Kronk radiant, which was determined by several plotted historic radiants
from this area over many years, by several experianced observers in the USA
and Germany.  Also, the average magnitude of the four meteors seen by me was
3.7, which is rather faint (3 were 4th and one 3rd magn.). Unfortunetly, I
had to fight the clouds and the Last Quarter Moon the last two hours, but I
was as able to get some good data anyway. Below is the raw data obtained.

        Aries-Triangulids - August 12/13, 1998 - Mathias WVa  USA

  Date    Time (UT)   LM  Cloud %   SPI  DAS  ATR  KAQ  SPO  Total
9/13/98  02:45-03:46  6.3    0%      1    1    1    0    11   14
9/13/98  03:46-04:46  6.0   40%      1    0    1    0     5    7
9/13/98  05:12-06:13  5.6   60%      2    0    2    1     3    8

   This shower is not over, and experianced meteor observers world wide
should look the next few night as the Moon is wanning and getting to be
less of a problem. More meteors from this minor meteor shower should be
seen next year if it has a period of about 6 years as proposed by some
reseachers.

GWG