[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aries-Triangulids

Trying to debunk the Aries-Triangulids Zay said among other things:

>Looking at my plots for the sporadics, I can probably close my eyes and pick
>any spot at random and find 1 to 4 meteors appearing to radiate from it.

Nonsense. One to three meteors maybe, but not four or more. The speed and
path length must also be correct. It is interesting  to note that NONE of
the meteors you saw chance aligned with an A-T radiant had the correct speed.
Chance would have SOME be correct. You are trying too hard to prove you are
correct. Chance means all possibilities.

>...............One such spot tonight was 5 meteors appearing to radiate from
>the "kids" in Auriga not too far from Capella. These were all Very Fast in
>speed.

These were obviously Delta Aurigids! That radiant is only about 10 degrees
away, and errors in plotting could easily put that radiant there. Bad example.
In fact, the stars Delta Aurigae is right next to the kids!

GWG