[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Very Fast Sporadics (was Re: Internet Message)

Howdy, Bob - definitely worthwhile mentioning that sporadics in the AM are
generally faster than sporadics in PM... As you said, they get the Earth's
zippy 30 km/sec added to their own orbital velocity!

But I think George generally only considers a meteor "Very Fast" (a "5" on his
and NAMN's speed scale) when it is travelling at, say, Perseid speed or better,
to use a convenient baseline... Is that fair to say, George?

And even with the added "boost" of Earth's motion, aren't there pretty few
sporadic meteors that will hit us at better than 59 km/sec? Anyway, I know from
the little observing *I* have the chance to do that I very rarely see anything
I classify as a "5" on George's scale, unless a Very Fast shower (ETA, PER,
ORI, LEO, etc.) happens to be active... (In fact, I tend to log even PERseids
as "4", and only a rare long one as "5".)

OTOH, I could be wrong! :)

Lew