[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sept. 16 Observations

I watched for slightly over 3 hours from the Descanso observatory this
morning. Activity was much better than Monday morning as I counted 40
meteors this morning. There was good activity from the September
Perseids (Delta Aurigids) as 9 were seen. The Piscids were also active
producing 4 shower members. Only one meteor was a possible candidate for
the Aries-Triangulum radiant(s). The highlight of the night was a
beautiful orange -3 sporadic that shot swiftly from the Perseus-Taurus
border through Perseus and ended near the Perseus-Andromeda border. It
traveled an estimated 35 degrees in one full second of flight. The
persistent train lasted 4 seconds making it very easy to plot.

I neglected to mention the highlight of Monday morning. It was a
satellite rather than a meteor. This somewhat dim satellite traveling
west to east was the first satellite I have ever seen pass in front of
the moon. Well actually it was too dim to be seen in front of the dark
portion of the lunar disk but it would have been an interesting sight in
binoculars.

September 16, 1998

0920-1025 UT   1.00   6.55   1 SPI   5 SPR   6 SPO   12 TOTAL
1025-1130 UT   1.00   6.39   11 SPO   11 TOTAL
1130-1230 UT   0.88   6.17   3 SPI   4 SPR   10 SPO   17 TOTAL

TOTALS:        2.88   6.37   4 SPI   9 SPR   27 SPO   40 TOTAL

The first column is the period watched in Universal Time (PDT + 7
hours). The second column is the percent of an hour actually spent
watching the sky during this period. Time is lost for breaks, plotting,
and data entry. The third column is the average limiting magnitude
during each period with a minimum of 4 estimates. The last columns list
the activity seen during each period.

I was facing due north at an altitude of 70 degrees. No breaks were
taken during this session. SPI = Piscids, SPR = September Perseids
(Delta Aurigids), and SPO = SPORADIC (random activity).

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   56 F (13 C)   44%
Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   53 F (12 C)   50%

MAGNITUDES:

SPI   +1  (1)  +2  (1)  +4  (1)  +5  (1)  AVERAGE   +3.00
SPR   +1  (1)  +2  (2)  +3  (1)  +4  (3)  +5  (2)  AVERAGE  +3.33
SPO   -3  (1)  -1  (1)   0  (1)  +1  (4)
      +2  (8)  +3  (7)  +4  (3)  +5  (2)   AVERAGE  +2.19

Bob Lunsford
San Diego, CA

Follow-Ups: References: