[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IMO-NEWS: Draconid information

> > ****************************************************************************
> >
> > The numerical investigation of the motion of meteoroids ejected from the
> > nucleus of the comet Giacobinni-Zinner is carried out. Calculations have
> > shown that the ejected particles should be observed on October 8, 1998.
> > The calculated time of a maximum is October 8.55 UT. The radiant of the
> > meteor shower has right ascention 17.5 hours and declination 56 degrees.

Very interesting, since this would put the maximum at the fringes of
morning twilight for West Coast USA observers, as opposed to the
prediction of October 8.7 - 9.0 UT that has been posted in numerous places
(and would mean maximum occurring in daylight for us). Are there any
reasons to prefer one prediction over another, or is "within a few hours
of the nodal passage" still the safest bet in any of these uncertain
events?

Not that there's anything we can do about it, except watch and wait and
hope for clear skies.

--
Wes Stone <wstone@lclarkdot edu>  Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR
                 SKYTOUR Amateur Astronomy Hypertext: