[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LA area limiting magnitude

        Kevin>> What is the limiting magnitude in a city in the Los Angeles
area this
 time of  year? I one time saw a meteor while driving at night in Newport
 Beach. It was the color of LA air. <<

Just guessing for the Newport Beach area...I'd say something like around +2 or
+3? It's been a long time since I've looked up there. I started out as a
fireman in that area...at the John Wayne Airport. When I was there it was
called the Orange County Airport though. That was about 26 years ago...I do
remember the smog.

       Kevin>>   I saw a television show about Easter Island a few days ago.
It said
 80% of the statues fell down in the same direction. The trees are gone. Has a
 meteorite strike been ruled out?<<

From what I understand about the lack of trees on Easter Island had something
to do with the local natives over populated and in the process denuded the
island of it's trees for various wood products. I haven't heard anything about
a meteorite strike. The statues might have simply fell in a similar direction
due to an islands natural rising terrain? Possibly had a common weak side?
George Zay