[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sleeping Bags for Meteor Observing

Recently someone asked me about information for a good meteor observing
sleeping bag for very cold conditions. My wife is pretty much of a guru with
these kind of things so I asked her. The following are some recommendations
she gave me that you might want to consider?

First make sure you get one from a major store such as REI, Sierra Design, Jan
Sports etc. that will give you a lifetime guarantee. You never know when you
got a bum steer and want an exchange. keep your receipts too. She says that
synthetic will probably be best for you over down. Then get the kind that has
the synthetic material called "Polar Loft". Get a bag that is rated at -20 or
colder. She thinks a Mummy bag over the "Straight" would be best, but make
sure it has what is known as a "collar" or a "baffle". I forgot what the heck
she said that was...but it's called a collar or a baffle. Also get one with a
"draft tube". This is a flap that covers the zipper. The zipper regions will
let in air or cold , so it should be covered. Those are the major things, but
I would like to add placing a plastic sheeting of some kind between your
sleeping bag and cot. During windy conditions, I sometimes would feel the
draft blowing thru the material from the bottom. So...you keep the derrier
warm, you got most of the battle licked.
George Zay