[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor sounds

I have indeed experienced this several years ago. I believe the
simultaneous sound I heard from the fireball might have been "transmitted"
by a number of electrical lines and a transformer, almost overhead.
It is difficult to prove this phenomena as it is extremely rare.
Im sure many reports are nothing more than imagination or some other
noise giving the illusion that it originates from the sky.
A few reports might be genuine, all depending on the observing site and
objects surrounding the observer.
Of the over 5640 meteors I have recorded for IMO since 1994, over many
hours
using different observing sites, I have never again seen anything like
it. Even the brightest fireballs I see are always quiet. But my current
observing sites dont have any overhead electrical wires or other extended
metal objects.

As for sonic booms, occuring several seconds or minutes after the meteor,
I have never heard this yet.

>I have a question regarding something in one of the postings.  I saw the
>statement that an observer heard some noise when seeing a bolide, and that
>others heard it as well. I am not referring to the sound you hear from the
>meteor's wake ( i.e. the normal sonic disturbance heard several seconds or
>minutes after viewing the object.)  There is a lot of anecdotal evidence
>of such a phenomenon.  This "sound" has also been linked to auroral displays.
>Has anyone ever experienced this?

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *