[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sleeping Bags for Meteor Observing

Gregory wrote:

>If it is windy, a sleeping bag generally will not suffice, remember,
>wind lowers the effective temperature (wind chill). A tent of some kind
>is needed. North Face made a tent (I do not know if it still made) which
>provides great sidewall protection while allowing night sky viewing.
>Also, a cook stove which is adjustable, can be turned down very low, and
>provide some heat inside of a tent and keep moisture inside down to a
>minimum, but BE CAREFUL not to set fire to yourself or tent. The low
>flame is blue, and will not affect seeing very much at all. They now
>make telescope tents with the top open. These are great viewing tents as
>well as good wind blockers. Anything which blocks the wind from hitting
>you is advisable. Plastic, stretched across two sticks in the ground
>will provide some good protection.

Thanks for these tips Gregory! Any help for cold weather observing is
very welcomed for us in the Great White North. The winter weather in
December to March can get very cold during clear nights. Without all
the necessary precautions, it is actually dangerous to observe on a
-20C or colder night. Snow does not help things either.

Another suggestion for "wind blocker" might be to use the so called
observing coffin. Such a design is easy to build. They are usualy
made of wood and custom built depending on your height. It would
make a nice "homemade" do-it-yourself project. The idea is to make
a box where your body will be completely shielded from wind. Also,
some heat will remain trapped inside, keeping you warm. If electrical
power is available, an electric blanket inside the coffin would be
even more effective. Of course, precautions are necessary so you dont
get electrocuted.

Pierre