[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sleeping Bags for Meteor Observing

My son and I viewed the '96 Leonids from Western New York. There was about
a foot of snow on the ground, with wind chill aproaching 0 degrees F. I
shoveled a ten foot square and set up lawn chairs. I covered them with a
tarp and used the snow to hold down the edges. Then we had sleeping bags
with electric blankets inside of them. I used a large plastic storage box
with a tight lid to hold all of the 'electric stuff'. I just cut out a hole
large enough to run all the wires through the side. This setup seemed very
effective if electricity is available. We had great luck with VERY clear,
VERY dark skies, (I wasn't familiar w/ LM's back then.) My son managed to
stay awake for almost 300 meteors, and I counted close to 450 in two nights
observing! What a show.

John Newton.