[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sept. 24 Observations

After 3 nights of totally overcast skies I finally was able to make it
out to dark skies to view the late September activity. Wouldn't you know
it after 2 hours fog rolled in and the session was over. During the
clear 2 hours I managed to see 17 meteors including 6 from the Piscid
radiant. I also plotted one possible member of the Sigma Orionids. I did
not notice any activity from the September Perseids/Delta Aurigids but
then again I was facing a bit more to the south than George in order to
have a better view of the Piscid activity. The highlight of the session
was a long zero magnitude sporadic that shot overhead from the northeast
toward the southwest and was not well seen due to its altitude. Another
memorable meteor occurred while I was turned around scanning the west
for clouds. A nice slow second magnitude Piscid appeared in Aquarius
just above the Water Jar.

This is it for the week. It's back to work for me. I do plan to watch
early next week, weather permitting of course!

September 24, 1998

0752-0852 UT   0.94   6.37   3 SPI   5 SPO   8 TOTAL
0852-0952 UT   0.94   6.25   3 SPI   6 SPO   9 TOTAL

TOTALS:        1.88   6.31   6 SPI  11 SPO  17 TOTAL

The first column is the period watched in Universal Time (PDT + 7
hours). The second column is the percent of an hour actually spent
watching the sky during this period. Time is lost for breaks, plotting,
and data entry. The third column is the average limiting magnitude
during each period with a minimum of 4 estimates. The last columns list
the activity seen during each period.

I was facing southeast at an altitude of 60 degrees. No breaks were
taken during this session. SPI = Piscids and SPO = SPORADIC (random
activity).

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   38 F (3 C)   63%
Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   41 F (5 C)   80%

MAGNITUDES:

SPI   +2  (3)   +3   (1)   +4  (2)   AVERAGE   +2.83
SPO    0  (1)   +2   (3)   +3  (3)   +4   (3)   +5   (1)   AVERAGE +2.91

Bob Lunsford
San Diego, CA