[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Electrophonic Sounds the articles

Hi all,

I took another look at the two Meteorite! magazine articles before sending a
report.

The articles were from the Nov. '97 and the Aug. '98 issues. The list's very
own Graham Wolf was the author of the Nov. article. The gist of his article
was to give a history to the reports of such sightings. The first one being
in 817 AD by the Chinese. Edmund Halley also made reference to the phenomena
in 1719. He goes on to list many more reports of sightings or "hearings."

The August article was written by Colin Keay (is he here?) is a retired
physcist and astronomer and one of the few fellows in the Royal Astronomical
Society of New Zealand.
In the article he suggests that the effect lies in the region of 10 Hz to 100
kHz area. "Some research papers on the electromagnetic radiation from nuclear
explosions revealed a peak at 12 kHz due to the instabilities of the expanding
fireball." He then goes on to produce various research papers that back the
theory. I can't say that I completely understood the whole thing and if Dr.
Keay is here, maybe he could expand on his thoughts.

I (thru the NJAA's newspaper) have an agreement with Joel Shiff of the
magazine that I can republish any article providing I give Meteorite! magazine
full credit. Which I have done in the past. If anyone wants a copy of Dr.
Keay's article, e-me privately and I'll send you a copy. Then maybe someone
who has a little more understanding of electromagnetics can expand on the
theory.

Kevin