[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quiet morning in a dark place (GRALE Visual Summary, Sep 28/29 1998)

I managed to get up at 3:45 local time this morning, to do some
meteor observing from my backyard. A coldfront moving through the
previous day now beckoned me with the promise of CRYSTALLINE clear
skies, and a beautiful quiet Fall morning's observing.

Dragging my chair, sleeping bag, and clipboard out as quietly as
I could, I settled in under some of the DARKEST skies I've ever
seen in "pink-sky" Medford, MA - just 5 miles north of Boston!

Location: Medford, MA, USA      71:06:24 W 42:25:06 N, elev 5m
Effective observing time (Teff): 1.2 hours (0800-0915 UT)
Sky obscured (bldgs/trees):    15%      No breaks taken.
Total meteors recorded:        13       Mean Limiting Mag: 6.0
Sporadic (non-shower) meteors: 10       Mean magnitude:    3.3
Southern Piscids:               1       Magnitudes:        3
Delta Aurigids:                 2       Magnitudes:        2, 4

COMMENTS:
15 seconds recording time deducted per meteor.
Temparature 50o(F). Relative humidity 55%. Seeing 9 out of 10.

"Best" meteor of the night: mag 1.5 white medium-speed Sporadic
THRILL of the night: mag 5 Sporadic (my first mag 5 from Medford?!)
Session ended due to lights from awakening neighbors! Medfordians
work hard and early, and I'm within 50' of 6 different families.

A full IMO Meteor Report will follow, after I've managed to finish
the other *SIX* IMO reports from this year in my queue!

Lew