[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteoroid Size

Dale Ireland wrote:

> I am guessing that should be 0.2 centimeters rather than 2 centimeters.
> It is a better fit with the stated weight also, a 2cm object weighing 1
> gram would have the density of styrofoam.

Dale,

2.0 centimeters is the correct figure for meteoroids originating from
comets. Actually styrofoam is denser than your average meteoroid
originating from a comet. It has been stated that these meteoroids have
the consistency of cigar ash. No wonder there are no chances of it
surviving its plunge through the atmosphere!

Dale, you already know this but to those who don't, another source of
meteoroids are asteroids. These meteoroids are made up of metals and
stone and would have a much greater density than those from comets. It
is these meteoroids that are often able to survive the plunge through
the Earth's atmosphere and are found as meteorites upon the ground.

All major annual showers, except perhaps the Geminids, originated from
comets. Since the density of the average Geminid is not that much
greater than that of the average Perseid meteoroid it would be safe to
guess that the asteroid 1983TB (parent body of the Geminids) was once a
comet.

The bottom line is: don't worry about wearing hard hats during the major
meteor showers. It is that occasional sporadic that is going to get you!

Bob Lunsford

Follow-Ups: References: