[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Magnetars

Mind you,

I'm not a professional Astronomer, but I do know that x-rays and gamma rays
are NOT within the human visible spectrum. So turning night into day "visibly"
would not have been possible.... perhaps in a "manner of speaking" though, is
what they meant.  Gamma rays are stopped by the atmosphere (luckily). Other
than that it sounds like the collapse of a star to "neutron" status, and they
indeed do exist with diameters as small as 12 miles. They have incredible
mass-densities, you've probably heard the story "a spoonfull weighs as much as
Pike's Peak" .... Comments?

Dave G