[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Magnetars

The report made a similar comparison saying 2 tablespoons would weigh as much
as an aircraft carrier. Pardon my ignorance but is this in any way similar to
a black hole? The reference to "night into day" wasmade along with blast's
sudden ionization and was a quote from Umran Iman of Stanford U in Palo Alto,
Ca.. The report did say that the burst was due to a cataclysmic quake on the
iron surface of this small neutron star and that it distubed our upper
atmosphere and spacecraft, sending detectors to max or offscale readings on at
least 7 research craftin the earth's orbit and as far out as Jupiter and that
on at least 2 craft the wave's intensity triggered a defensive shutdown of
instruments.. The article stated that the star's field is 800 trillion times
that of the earth and over 100 times stronger than any previously known in the
universe. This occured on Aug. 27; am I the last to hear {Sep 30] or is there
some reason this is just now being released?             Thanks again for your
patience with someone who is fascinated but so much of a novice that the word
amatuer probably infers more knowledge on the subject than I have.
Joy.