[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Juniper tree got a clipping!

Well....I finally done it! As most of you folks have known  these last few
years, is that I have a large Juniper tree too close to my meteor observatory.
My observatory is built on the property of my father in law in the local
mountains. For years I have been asking him for permission to trim the top 4
to 6 feet of this juniper tree that is making meteor observations kinda a pain
when looking towards the East. I have to look higher up in that direction to
get it out of my view. For some reason he has acquired an attachment to that
tree? I don't know how many times I've wished on it  a lightning strike or
some other misfortune to no avail? I must have asked him over a hundred times
for permission to top it? But the answer has always been the same...No!
Well...this morning I showed up to help him lower a TV antenna off the roof of
his house. After finishing that, I nonchalantly asked him again about topping
about 4 feet off the juniper tree. I was very surprised when he said "yea". I
asked him three times with each time emphasing the word "JUNIPER TREE" to make
sure there was no misunderstanding. After that I scrapped my other working
plans I had for the day around the observatory and immediately went on the
offensive to top that tree before he for some reason changes his mind. I
worked at a feverish pace to get it done before he has any second thoughts. l
literally had to trim a lot of branches every foot of the way to the top. I
got about as high as I dared and started lopping away. I essentially trimmed
the top 6 feet off and 3 or 4 feet off the tops of other side branches that
poked up in front of the sky. I still would have liked to top another 3 or 4
feet...but the initial 6 feet was a very good start. Now with the upcoming
Leonids it should be a good view towards the east. It also clears a wider area
for one of my wide angle camera's.  I would often get a small part of the tree
out of necessity in the frame. It's been 6 hours since I trimmed it and my
father in law hasn't blown a gasket yet...so he must have really meant to give
me permission to cut the Juniper tree afterall? later.
George Zay