[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Juniper tree got a clipping!

<<
 Not a complaint, just an observation.

 Why is it okay to talk about tree topping and root structure in this
 list, but a deep sky question gets folks in a bad mood?

I don't think the deep sky question is the root of the problem here? It's more
along the lines of the choice of words used.... Responsible vs irresponsible.

But if you take a look at my original posting about topping the juniper tree,
it should become obvious that it does have a relationship to meteor
observing....the subject of this mailing list. The tree affected the meteor
data that was being gathered. With it being topped, meteor observations from a
meteor observatory has been improved. Instead of looking higher in the sky
where the "window" to meteor observing is less, I can now look a little lower
again where the meteor observing window becomes larger. One of the problems in
meteor observing is finding an adequate area to observe from. If the view to
your observations are blocked by more than 25%(whether it be from clouds,
mountains, buildings or trees), your meteor observing data essentially becomes
useless. It won't be recorded in IMO's Visual Meteor Data Base (VMDB). It is
important to have as much of an open sky to your view as possible....at least
over 75%. To have a tree growing near a meteor observatory is a very serious
problem when the tree starts to block some of the sky. Especially when it
begins to block some of the prime viewing area. The tree has been a problem
for about 8 years now. Yesterday was the first time that a solution to the
problem became available.
George Zay