[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Care and Feeding of the 'meteorobs' Mailing List

Our Meteor Observing list is shared by nearly 400 subscribers (390 as of
today). Because so many people, of so many different ages, interests, and
levels of experience all share the same list, we are ALL compelled to be
cautious in our posts to the list.

For *everyone's* benefit, here is a short "Meteor List Etiquette". Note that
like ALL "etiquette", these rules are only compulsory so far as we all wish
to communicate in an open, free and healthy Net environment...

1) Put descriptive Subject lines on all posts. If the topic of
   a thread changes in mid-stream, try to put keep your Subject
   line in tune with the changing meaning of the thread!

2) Try to keep posts as short and on-topic as possible. This is
   a courtesy to the many subscribers with slower internet links.
   Also as a courtesy, do NOT reply to long messages by including
   the entire text of the original message in your response! Try
   to limit the amount of quoting (">" use) to the minimum needed.

3) If your message is only of interest to a few of our readers,
   do not post it publicly... (*Exceptions* to this: If you're
   not sure how to contact a person, or are unsure how many of
   us might potentially be interested in your post!)

4) Try to keep discussions as focused as possible on meteors: do
   this NOT because comets, asteroids, meteorites, meteorological
   phenomena, or general astronomy aren't of interest to most of
   us, but simply because there are OTHER MAILING LISTS devoted
   to these other areas of astronomy... I belong to some of these
   other lists, and so can you. Email me for more info OR see the
   "Other Astronomy Links" section on the 'meteorobs' Web site:
       http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/links.html

5) During periods of high activity (Perseids, Geminids, possible
   METEOR STORMS like Draconids or Leonids), please try to keep
   unnecessary or personally-oriented posts to a minimum: this is
   a list for ALL meteor-lovers, but those with serious scientific
   aims may need to communicate via the list unhindered at times.

   Such "Black Out Times" include but are not limited to: Jan 1-4,
   Apr 20-24, May 3-6, Jul 27-31, Aug 9-15, Oct 7-10 '98, Oct 19-22,
   Nov 15-20, Dec 11-15, and other dates as prompted by high traffic.

6) Please refrain from ANY personal attacks or use of language which
   is obviously offensive! Repeated abuse of this rule can result in
   your forced REMOVAL from 'meteorobs', temporarily or permanently.

That's it! Clear skies from your friendly neighborhood List Admin,
--
Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs@latrade.com

Follow-Ups: References: