[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: stationary Perseid

Eric,

I have seen less than 10 stationary meteors out of 50,000 recorded. The
most impressive of these was during a strong Quadrantid display back in
1985. It was right at the radiant and flared to perhaps -3 or -4. It
appeared much like an Iridium flare only there was absolutely no motion
and it lasted for only a second.

Bob Lunsford

KCStarguy@aol.com wrote:

> Well I got clouded out here in Kansas for the Perseids again. Saw a couple of
> 1st magnitude Perseids and that was it.
>
> Reminds me about 30 years ago while watching the Perseids in Rhode Island. A
> bright green dot appeared in the radiant, and grew steadily bigger and bigger
> like the firebal weapon used by the Romulans on Star Trek. It was about -6, I
> believe and it got about 2/3 the size of the moon before this stationary
> fireball fizzled out. I could not believe and still remember it well. Only
> stationary among the thousands I had seen. Anyone else ever seen a stationary?

Follow-Ups: References: