[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: stationary Perseid

Really, Bob, only 10 stationaries out of 50,000?? *I* have probably recorded
more than 10 of these in the past couple of years - and *FAR* fewer meteors!

I guess this could be for two reasons: 1) I call a meteor "stationary" when
it's so short that I can't fix its direction of motion in my mind. Probably
with more experience (like you), I'll get better at this. 2) You face the
radiants of active showers, which I rarely do. Thus you not only see more
short meteors than I do (and so are more used to them), but you probably see
many such short meteors with nearly 0 degs "true DCV" (distance from center
of vision). Basically none of my "stationaries" were truly dead-on DCV=0.

How many stationaries have other experienced observers recorded, by the way?

Clear skies!
Lew