[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Heavenly Conjunctions

This sounds remarkably like a few "twisted pair" meteors that I have seen,
Mark... In particular, TWO different Perseids in ONE night in 1996!

Basically these meteors left trains that formed two slightly curved (or one
straight and one curved) tracks, appearing to "braid" with themselves! When I
described this bizarre sight to 'meteorobs' in '96, Malcolm Currie suggested
(very reasonably) that these "double tracks" might actually be an optical
illusion: Viewing a single cylindrical train from the side, the sides would
appear brighter because they were foreshortened (similar to clouds on the
horizon appearing "bunched up", or M57 appearing as a "Ring Nebula" even
though it's actually a complete shell.)

Take this "double track" and add some high-altitude wind sheer and "Presto!",
I would see meteor trains kinking, twisting, and braiding with themselves.
Does this sound like it might be similar to what you saw?

Clear skies!
Lew