[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Statistics & Stationary Meteors

Lew<<
 Bob, logically you might think facing the radiant would cause you to
 see more VERY SHORT meteors as well as more stationary shower meteors.
 And so can it also cause you to be better at distinguishing the two?

Perhaps if all the Very Short meteors and Stationary meteors were bright he
would see more? But meteors appear in a variety of magnitudes. I also find
meteor movement gets my attention for the appearance of a meteor. Without it,
I think a lot of meteors would be missed? If you are looking with your center
of view on a radiant, a lot of shower meteors will often appear very short.
Combining Very short meteors with relatively dim meteors (such as +4 or +5),
There may not be enough distance for the meteor to have traveled and be
noticed as a meteor and not some dim star to get one's attention? This is the
main reason why I prefer to observe  about 20-30 degrees from a radiant. You
may not be as apt to notice the short dim meteors close to a radiant as easily
as you would those that would travel a little further along about 30 degrees
away?
George Zay