[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:(meteorobs) 24h Draconids monitoring

Message text written by INTERNET:meteorobs@latrade.com

"Anybody else monitoring the Draconids on the radio? The weather forecast
looks bad for thursday evening here in central europe - but -

I will be recording as usual on 53.7600, 62.2500 and 144.4903 Mhz, a total
of 6 different forward scatter paths (and directions). This should show any
Draconids activity quite well, as the radiant is always above the horizon,
and these transmitters are on for 24h. I will keep the (meteorobs) list
informed.

Anybody interested for exchanging informations during the 17-23h UT period
on Oct 8?  If there is an interest I will be on IRC (channel #NAMN) for
realtime informations - please indicate your possible interest via private
e-mail.

Werfried Kuneth, Austria (13 37' E, 46 45' N)
Current radio meteor report: usual sporadic background - no unusual
activity

"

Hi Werfried,

I will attempt to monitor but it looks like I will have to reconfigure my
radio meteor array as I haven't monitored in awhile.  When I started
forward scatter monitoring some years ago I had at least two to three open
frequencies on the local FM dial to work with 24 hors a day. Now nearly all
the 88-108 MHz frequencies are regionally occupied during the daytime. At
night it is easier to observe because one or two frequencies open up when
local college FM stations go off the air at midnight and don't come on
again until sunrise or so. I will see what I can do in any case.

17 UT to 23 UT is 11 am to 5 pm Mountain Daylight Time. These are excellent
hours to radio observe because if there is an outburst it will stand out
since sporadic activity should be normally low in the afternoon. My old
fashioned planisphere shows Draco to be in good radio range during those
hours. I don't know the exact elevation of the radiant from my location
during these hours though.

Good luck to you.

Thomas Ashcraft
35deg 41' 08" N  105deg 56' 43" W