[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Stationary Meteors & More

> That is interesting Lew as I would bet most of my stationary meteors
> occurred exactly at the center of my field or darn close to it. Even by
> facing the radiant most of my meteors lie in the 5-10 degree range. This
> is probably due to the fact that my average distance from center of my
> view (DCV) is near 20 degrees therefore in an area which produces
> meteors of this length.

Referring back to George's suggestion to face 20-30 degrees OFF the radiant,
I wonder which is cause and which effect here, Bob? In other words, could
you actually be missing many short meteors close to the radiant, because your
eyes miss their movement or "discard" them, and could this then explain why
your average DCV is 20 degrees, and you see so few short meteors? Or do you
have pretty much the same average DCV for Sporadics and for Shower meteors?

Then again, we may be actually be seeing some difference in "cues" each
of us uses to detect the occurence of a meteor? Based on nothing but a
subjective impression, I'd say that changes in light are the main cue I
use to detect that a meteor is happening. Maybe motion is more important
than light increase for you?

Verrrry interesting! :)
Lew