[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Draconid Observations and More

I was out tonight above the patio (see below for reason) from home from
02:15 to 3:45 Universal Time Oct 8. There was scattered cirrus causing
me to change my field of view from time to time. The average limiting
magnitude was 5.0 during the 90 minutes. There was absolutely no
Draconid activity seen at all. I did catch 5 sporadics so the effort was
not totally futile.

I was also out Tuesday night from 02:15 to 02:45 Universal Time Oct 7.
This session was held in my front yard as I did not want to waste time
setting up in my normal spot on top of the patio. I managed to see 3
sporadic meteors but again no Draconids. The sky was much clearer
Tuesday night with a limiting magnitude of 5.5. I would have stayed out
longer but a skunk decided he (or she) would like to watch with me. The
cute little critter was first spotted off to my left about 6 feet away
and then went down by my feet. It started digging just a few feet away
for what seemed like an eternity. After some 10 minutes it finally
started to move away only to circle back and come right up to my left
side. It was close enough nuzzle my left arm and must have then realized
I was a possible threat. It made a quick exit away to my left and I also
bolted from my chair in the opposite direction and ran to the front
door. It must have looked hilarious but I did not care because I was
glad to get away without getting sprayed. I was certain that our dog or
someone would come out the front door and startle the little critter and
that I would not be allowed back in the house. That was certainly enough
excitement for one night!

Bob Lunsford

San Diego, California