[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Draconids from Canada...

Greetings all,

Am back from an observing site near Munster, Ontario.  Skies started off
really nice and clear for Draconids...

I took an observing friend with me, Karen Edmonds from Ottawa.  Although
fairly new to meteors, she is not new to astronomy.  She picked up on meteor
magnitudes fairly quickly, and also how to do estimates of limiting star
magnitude.

We got in about an hour of good observing, with limiting magnitude about
5.6.  I recorded 2 nice Draconids, and 4 sporadics, one of which was a
beautiful slow meteor as well.  The highlight of the evening was the very
first meteor we saw, a -1 Draconid... Karen overlapped on most of these, and
also saw one last Draconid after we both had signed off...

I ran 2 cameras, but activity was slow.  It was also very moist up here, so
there was a lot of dew, both on the observers and the cameras...

Got heavy cloud moving in from the south about 2.00 UT... so heavy that we
hadn't even noticed the moon had risen!  It enveloped us fairly swiftly, and
in spite of trying to wait it out for about an hour and a half in our
lawnchairs, just got worse...

However, we did get some clear skies, which was great.  Not much activity,
but an opportunity to help monitor the shower none the less...!

Night all,

- Cathy
Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre
NAMN, North American Meteor Network