[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radius of shower Radiant points

Lew<<
 Mark, the annual "IMO Meteor Shower Calendar" has radiant sizes,
 but only for *featured* showers of that year. However, both the
 GIAs and ORIs happen to be featured in this year's! See:
         http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal98.html

 (The GIAs are listed as having a 5o radius, the ORIs as 10o! But
 note that the appropriate radiant size to assume depends on your
 meteor's distance from that radiant, due to alignment error...)

Several months ago I was talking to Rainer Arlt about radiant sizes. The
radiant sizes listed in IMO's meteor shower calendar is not correct. They were
suppose to be removed. The radiant diameter of the Orionids are 0.84 degrees
based on photographic data. I have some listed in my book Lew. I don't know if
that update is in your copy or not? But look on Table 8.6 IMO's Additional
Working List Info. It has listed the one's that I received from Rainer or
Rendtel some time ago? It appears that for most showers, the radiant diameter
is roughly 2 degrees or less.
George Zay