[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Draconid data MISKO/more ZHR results

Hello,

Below the Draconid data from Koen Miskotte (MISKO) who observed from his
home in Ermelo, the Netherlands:

obs.: Koen Miskotte    MISKO
loc.: Ermelo, the Netherlands, 52d 18'N, 5d 37'E
date: October 8, 1998

UT            Teff   Lm    Dra  Spo
18:06-18:26   0.33   5.5    2    2     50% cloud cover
18:46-19:16   0.50   6.1    2    4     no clouds

          +2   +3   +4   +5
Draconids  1   0    2    1
Sporadics  0   4    2    0

From data gathered by Marc de Lignie and me (Lattrop), Jaap van 't Leven
(Bosschenhoofd) and Koen's data above (excluding the period with partial
cloud cover) and using an assumed r-value of 3.5 because of the weak
meteor magnitudes, I get a preliminary ZHR of 8 +- 2 for the period
18-20h UT. For each observer individual ZHR-values are:

Koen:    6 +- 5
Jaap:    9 +- 4
Marc:    6 +- 3
Marco:  10 +- 4

Average: 8 +- 2

This corresponds very well to the data reported by Arlt c.s. (Berlin,
Germany) and Stomeo (Italy).

Presumably, this activity represents part of a low level background
structure
behind the main peak observed from Asia. Such a background was also
present in 1985 (see P. Jenniskens, Astron. Astroph. 295 (1995), 206-235).

Even though we missed the spectacular display seen by our Asian
collegues, we still feel very satisfied to have seen the Draconid stream
displaying unequivocal activity, which is after all a very rare occasion!
Also, only half a day earlier weather prospects looked very dim, so we
are glad to have experienced a short period of clear sky (and Draconid
activity!) at all. So we are really very happy at the moment!

Cheers!

-Marco Langbroek
 Dutch Meteor Society, the Netherlands