[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Aries-Triangulids

yBob,

I'm just gradually catching up with the meteorobs after a jam-packed
week.

> I was curious if you knew about the reports from Gliba, Kronk, and
> Sleeter before or after you noticed this activity on your own charts?

Yes.  So it's not completely unbiased.  However, I plotted what I saw
from several field centres to reduce bias, and my data show a compact
radiant.  My radiant position doesn't match two of the three reports.

> Your article convinced my that the 1994 display was real and to include
> it my list of radiants to examine in years to come. The last 4 years has
> produced very little activity but observers should still keep an eye out
> for this activity every September. The use of video cameras to record
> such activity would be wonderful but unfortunately they are very
> expensive and beyond the budgets of most independent observers.

Thanks.  It appears to be rich in faint meteors so could easily be
missed even if there were activity.  It's definitely one to keep alert
for telescopically and visually.  Plotting is crucial during September
to sort out the various radiants in the Aries-Perseus-Auriga area.
As we've seen in recent years, there are periodic showers, so we can't
dismiss the A-Ts or my alpha-Triangulids after a few years of
inactivity.

> We also have a similar situation occurring in mid-June with the Xi
> Draconids.
> [snip]
>
> This is another case where outright dismissal due to lack of activity
> should be put on hold. Rather there should be a call for action to help
> verify such activity using every means possible including plotting,
> photography, and video.

Couldn't agree more.  The skies are forever changing.  Familiar
streams are perturbed to give weaker or stronger showers, or even
disappear. Likewise other streams can be nudged by Jupiter to
intersect with the Earth's orbit to give us new showers.  We have to
be vigilant and open-minded, whilst being cautious of uncorroborated
claims.

> Keep Watching!

Now there is a worldwide community and quick exchange of news, as
evidenced by this week's results, we're realising that there several
these outburst showers, which a generation ago, would be scoffed at.
There are probably more awaiting discovery.

Malcolm