[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Statistics & Stationary Meteors

Malcolm>>When I read George's reply I had to chuckle.  "Where did *that* come
from?" I thought.  It was so much off the mark that I'm not taking
umbrance at the personal attack (but thanks Lew for coming to support
me).  No dig was intended, in fact it never crossed my mind when I
wrote it.<<

I'm glad you enjoyed your laugh. :o)    In your original statement you were
using the words "you", which I interpret as referring to at least others and
perhaps yourself as well? If you had used "I", I would have understood that
you were describing your own difficulties. But there's no problem in your
meaning now.

Malcolm>>No what I was on about, and as Lew says, I'm speaking from personal
experience, that chasing after records is not what meteor observing is
about.  It's not a race to beat other observers or even yourself. <<

Very True. On occasions I had to cringe when I've heard of folks who would
observe during a Full Moon period when nothing special is going on. I have two
individuals in mind, but I don't think either is on this list right now? It is
very apparent that they are simply trying to log hours, despite for the most
part their efforts have very little worthwhile. Pick your hours and nights so
that they can be most beneficial. Avoid the bright moons and city lights. Go
for the quality and not the quantity. If you can combine quality and quantity,
then you are going places.

 marlcolm>>We all have different circumstances.  There are environmental and
physiological differences that are hard to overcome.  For me meteor
watching is about enjoying the constantly dynamic heavens, and making
a small contribution to meteor science.<<

yes a variety of circumstances. There may be a period that one would like to
observe but can't. During these periods I meanwhile recommend learning all you
can so that you will be prepared when observing opportunities present itself.
It could be years down the road even?

malcolm>>Meteor watching can become addictive for some (note not all) people
and like any addiction can interfere with other parts of our lives.<<

Sort of like Coin and Stamp collecting....but meteor observing hasn't really
interfered with my life...well, I take that back. I do have other interests
that I sometimes want to drift back to from time to time...such as gold
prospecting, fishing and scenic photography. And i do sometimes satisfy these
interests to round things out some.

malcolm>>Not only is there addiction, but guilt.  You shouldn't feel guilty if
it's clear but for other reasons you can't observe.  There's more of
the latter pressure if you hold a position of responsibility.  Each of
us has to judge how we can fit in all the responsibilities of family,
friends, career, education, other pastimes etc. into our ever
increasingly pressured lives.  I'm not saying that addiction or guilt
applies to any readers of meteorobs, since I don't know your personal
circumstances.  It was just a warning for you as individuals to watch
for the signs.<<

From my observing I haven't experienced anything that I would classify as
guilt yet? I have a fairly busy and full spectrum of activities that keeps me
going. As for  a career...that is winding down. I plan on retiring sometime in
the next year to 3 years. My overall health will mostly determine when I'll
actually take this step?  I think of my observing efforts as something I plan
on sliding right into more fully when I finally retire. This will sort of be
my new "career". Nothing worse than to retire and have no personal interests
to keep you going?

malcolm>>Re. quality vs. quantity.  We should strive to improve the quality of
our observations, such as improving our shower association and
knowledge of the constellations for magnitude estimation and plotting,
reducing dead time. <<

yes indeed!

malcolm>> I for one am still learning lots.  Meteorobs is a
great place to pick up tips from experienced observers. <<

Even if you are experienced, you will still come across little tidbits from
novices that can be incorporated into one's repetoire. ( I sure hope I spelled
that right?)

 malcolm>>If the science is important to you, improved quality can also mean
taking
naps and getting an extra hour or two in, or observing fewer nights
but for longer, so your results become more meaningful statistically.
Each to his own.  Some people like George manage both, and should be
applauded for it.<<

I find pre-observing evening naps to be one of the most important things that
will add quality to one's observing efforts. I have an interesting work
schedule that seemingly permits me to observe a lot. But in reality I have no
more free time than someone who works 8 hours/day and 5 days a week. Actually
I work 56hours/week. There are nights I wish I could be off in the evenings so
that I can observe a few hours on each dark night or every weekend. My 2
string of days off each month usually has one of them lining up with very
bright moon conditions. I simply plan my activities with the moon. That is for
about 10 days centered on a full moon, I mostly am involved with family
activities. If I'm off 4 days in a row...I devote two to observing and two to
the family or other purposes. You will find planning your observing nights
ahead of time is more productive than haphazardly doing it with no real
preparations.

Malcolm>>George you are fortunate that your work and ability to take naps lets
you observe so much. <<

Actually the fortunate part is simply being employed. My ability to take pre-
observing naps is part of the planning that goes into observing.

 malcolm>>Those not so fortunate should not feel bad or
inadequate that they can't compete. <<

This is correct. This is when you begin your planning. You start with learning
what you can about the activity. It may simply be reading what you can here on
the mailing list. But it is a beginning. Do it with the idea that someday you
will be able to observe when the time or situation is right and permits it. I
remember in my younger years in the military I was often in places or
situations where I wasn't able to observe. But I found time to look at star
charts for constellation locations was something I did in the long term
preparation. I remember the frustration of trying to find some of the
constellations from a location that had an LM of 4.0. You can't imagine how
many times I've scratched my head in trying to figure out some of those star
patterns? Draco and Pisces had me totally baffled.

 malcolm>>This is why I'm cautious over
detailed counts and league tables.  You can have goals, but make them
*reasonable* ones for your own circumstances, and don't get distressed
if you can't achieve them.  My last was 1000 telescopic meteors and
Teff=100.  This Teff is much lower than it was during the 1970s, but
then there were long summer vacations from school and university.<<

Detailed counts are harmless in the long run...as long as you have a sense of
quality in mind.

malcolm>>If I want to make a dig, I'll try to make it unequivocal.  I'm sorely
tempted to have a rant after the remark about "foreign English" when
this week on a Web site I've seen "summarization" meaning summary.
You know who you are. (-:<<

 I couldn't resist remarking about "foreign English" since I seen some humor
in it. I probably butcher the english language about as bad as anyone can? But
I know I didn't write the word "summarization" anywhere...at least not
consciously?
George Zay

Re