[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Size?

marcia<<
 My familiy and I are having a "discussion" concerning the size of an average
 meteor.

 For some reason I have it in my mind that the average size of a meteor is the
 size of a grain of sand.  Son and Husband are telling me they must be at
least
 the size of a football or thereabouts.

Marcia,
In the IMO handbook, it has a 0 magnitude cometary meteor for the eta aquarids
or Orionids with a mass of about 1 gram and dimensions around 2 centimeters.
An average meteor to me would be about +2 in magnitude. So the particle making
this would be smaller. As Lukic shown in an earlier post, that should be
something about the size of a pea.
George Zay