[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Best viewing for the Leonids?

Claude;
The biggest concern is the weather. The best rates here in the east will be
the morning of Nov 17th, and 18th....but where will it be clear? Depending
on that, I may be at the NJAA Observatory in High Bridge, NJ; Camp Taylor
Campground in Columbia NJ, Various sites in New York State and New
Hampshire, Pulaski VA, or bloody Descanso California if I have too :-)
	Unfortunately, the highest rates are on those two days, unlike longer
lasting showers such as the Perseids of August, or even the Orionids coming
up later this month. Tough question to answer here in the east, where
November weather can be capricious, to say the least. Just get the car
packed and be ready to go. Remember viewing times for the Leonids are from
about 11PM until dawn, so make sure you and the kids take a nap.

Wayne Still under leftover Draconid clouds in New Jersey  ...   sigh....

***original message below******

Greetings!  I am new to the list and to meteor observing as well.

I was wondering if anyone might know a good place for viewing this shower
in my part of the country.  I live in Frederick, Md., about 40 miles west
of Baltimore, at the foot of the Catoctin Mtns. However, there is still a
lot of light here at night, so I'd be willing to go to another site--up to
3 hours away--for a better view, if you think it would be worthwhile.

Can someone in the D.C/Baltimore area suggest a good site in this region?
My two boys--ages 14 and 10--are also psyched on seeing this event.  We
might make a camping trip out of it...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Claude J. Bauer