[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A few Ohio Draconids

A rare combination.....and arts and crafts gig and beautiful
weather. Beautiful weather which included a velvety black sky
covered with the dust of innumerable stars.

Sheri and I were in southern Ohio for the weekend, in an
area rather decently removed from excessive artificial illumination.
We ventured out into the night on Friday and Saturday  for
short durations as we had to be up at dawn to make for our
booth.

On Friday, 10/9, we watched from 2:40ut (10/10) till 3:40ut
(1 hour only)

Our location on the planet: 38deg45m N, 83deg30m W

Limiting Mag was +6.5

In that period we saw 4 Giacobinids and 10 sporadics.
(We also saw many firefly larvae in the grass)

The following night, joined by my sister and her family,
we saw no Giacobinids. My sister did see the Milky Way
for the first time.

(........and the arts and crafts went well, too! Lots o' herbal
vinegars and soaps sold, as did nature photos and t-shirts with
nature photos on 'em.....Hale-Bopp is still popular......a couple
tapes of music and a couple booklets of my published articles
went home with new owners as well)

Lots o 'nature this weekend......let's hope for planetary clear
skies next week (or at least over Ohio <G>).

____
Even when it was, it wasn't, was it?

Gregg M. Pasterick
Special Contributor at the Prodigy Gardens (somebody has to pull
weeds)
Kilbourne, Ohio

Planet Ohio e-Group list moderator

http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy