[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Coordinated realtime Leonid website?

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses to my posting.  Unfortunately, no one to this point
has come up with precisely what I'm seeking.  While I am interested in the
future results of the DMS team and others, all of these teams are going to
be positioned in roughly the same one or two time zones.  I was hoping to
find a coordinated effort by observers in each of the 24 time zones, except
perhaps those out in the unoccupied stretches of the Pacific Ocean.  In this
way I could find out, for example, what the activity is like in Greenland
while locally it's 5pm and daylight. An hour later I could check back and
find out what the activity is like in New York state.  An hour later I could
find out what the activity is like in Missouri.  This way, by the time
darkness falls on California on the night of the 17th I'll have an idea
whether the shower's intensity is waxing or waning.  If by some stroke of
luck activity is still building as evening is approaching I'll have greater
reason to fake illness at work and run for the hills.  On the other hand, if
the peak passed hours ago I'll know that, too, and I won't waste my time
driving to Yosemite.

The same reasoning applies to the night of the 16th.  If there's unusually
strong activity over the East Coast of the US suggesting the peak may be
significantly early, I'd sure like to know before nightfall in California.

If anyone learns of a more global effort of the sort I'm wishing for please
post it to the list.

Thanks.

Unobscured viewing,

Robert