[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors by Radio ?

GeoZay<<
 In the early evening you should hear less meteor activity than you would
after midnight. When I use to monitor meteors on radio while simultaneously
observing visually, on nights were no major activity was occuring, I would
hear about 6 meteors/hour near 6 pm. Around midnight I would hear about
20-30/hour. Then around 6 am I would hear the most activity...often close to
45-60/hour.

I forgot to add that this is because the earth is turning from the leeward
side where you see little meteor activity to the forward side where the earth
is running head long into meteors. This is like a car driving thru rain. The
rear windshield gets few raindrops. This is comparable to when the earth is at
6 pm local and also few meteors will enter the earth's atmosphere at this
point. Any meteors that do has to catch up with the earth from behind. The
front windshield will get many rain drops. This is comparable to when the
earth is at 6 am local and relatively many more meteors will enter the earth's
atmosphere as it crashes headlong into any meteoroids. Between these times,
meteor rates will be intermediate.
George Zay