[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Statistics & Stationary Meteors

Lew wrote:

>1) I watch that general area of sky for a little while after,
>     and notice no additional "flashes"; *OR*
>
>  2) I see a slight hint of motion which is clearly faster than
>     a normal satellite's, but I can get no definite impression
>     of trail direction from the event afterward. (This is more
>     common with meteors seen 20 or 30 degs from Center of FOV.)
>
>Is there something more I should be watching out for? Or is this
>another case of "I don't see it, so it probably doesn't exist"? ;>

Although I have seen several short and very short meteors near radiants,
I have never called a true stationary one. For the very short ones,
another indication I have seen is the short wake (train lasting less
than a second) that many of the faster ones will leave.
Usually, the wakes last only a fraction of second after the trail,
but it is enough to convince me that it was meteor. I sometimes
have seen a single brief stationary flashes (without wakes), but
I expect that they were most likely just satellites?

Pierre