[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Radiants

JAIGOPAL_B wrote:

> Thanks Bob,
> Your info was very helpful! I have just a few more questions.. how do i
> distinguish between meteors from an active shower and sporadics. Does it
> have something to do with where the meteor seems to originate from in the
> sky?

You are correct! Shower meteors will all trace back to a similar spot in
the sky which is called the radiant. Shower meteors appearing near the
radiant will appear short while those 90 degrees from the radiant will
appear much longer. It is also important to remember that radiants are
NOT STATIONARY. In most instances they move eastward an average of 1
degree (or 4 minutes of Right Ascension) and 1/10 of a degree either
north or south per day. The listed positions you see for in books and
other references are exact for the night of maximum activity only. This
is not critical a day or two before or after the date of maximum. Beyond
that though the position can change quite a bit from the listed
position.

Sporadic meteors will shoot in random directions and often will have
different velocities when compared to the active shower of the night.

> Supposing the RA and Dec is specified for some object, how do I locate it in
> the sky? (The only equipment I have are my eyes!)

Cathy covered this well so I will stop here and see if you have any more
questions.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford