[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Daylight Leonid Fireballs

Hello,

This is Jean-Chrisotphe from New Caledonia, still alive lurking over the
list and getting back for the Leonids.

A few words to say that I have been very busy for the last months : my new
job (I changed from freelance consultant to a full time job as  Information
Technology Manager of GBNC, the only local beer brewery (yes indeed I have
free coupons for packs of beer every month) in New Caledonia.

Back to Meteor Observations, first my 2 pacific francs (the is the local
currency, and about 2 cents anyway) about daylight observation.

I made several daylight observations of Iridium satellites flares and I
could not get anything under mag -6.
Even with this Mag, I hade to know in advance where to look.
Same thing with Venus at mag -4.8 or so.
So I think George is right with a limit mag of -5 to -6.
The second point is that those fireball will very likely leave a train that
could be more visible in daylight than the meteor itself.
The third point is about telescope observation during daylight. With an 8"
scope It is very easy to see Jupiter (mag -2) an even Alpha Centauri (mag 0)
so a mag -1 daylight leonid should be visible in a scope. Now I do not know
what is the ratio of mag -6 against mag -1 leonids and of telecopic rate
against naked eye rate but I am sure someone on the list can compute.

I will try to make Orionids obervations beginning this week-end. October and
November are the two best months for observation here with 3 to 5 days of
rain during each of these months.

Clear skies

Jean-Christophe 'Papou' Millot
22d17mS, 166d28mE