[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Tune-Up For The Leonids

> bob lunsford  wrote >>
>
> This is a fine idea and one that everyone should follow. I make it a
> point check my charts beforehand to memorize stars within my field of
> view for magnitude estimates. If one plots you can also highlight in
> some manner these stars and refer to them during your observing session.
> It is nice to have a prominent constellation such as Cygnus for this
> purpose. Another useful area is Aries and Triangulum where Hamal is
> +2.0, and the two stars forming the base of the triangle are exactly
> +3.0 and +4.0.
>
> Bob, this is a nice constellation, since it is know, small and near to leo.
>
> thanks. any other constellations ???

Khaled,

Actually Aries and Triangulum are not all that close to Leo.

For the upcoming Orionids you may wish to use the area around Rigel. You
can use Rigel as your zero magnitude comparison, Aldebaran for first
magnitude, Saiph (Kappa Orionis) for second, Cursa (Beta Eridani) for
third, Mu (57) Eridani (just west of Cursa) for fourth, and there is an
unnamed 5th magnitude star located exactly between Saiph and Sirius.

On the eastern side of the Orionid radiant you can use Procyon (just a
bit fainter than zero), Pollux (1st magnitude), Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
2nd magnitude, Gomiesa (Beta Canis Minoris) 3rd magnitude, Theta Hydrae
(some 10 degrees north of Alphard) 4th magnitude, and finally Psi
Geminorum (just southeast of Pollux) for a 5th magnitude comparison.

During the Leonids I would use Procyon, Pollux, and Alphard again. For
your 3rd magnitude comparison use Epsilon Leonis (the last star in the
"Sickle"). For your 4th and 5th magnitude comparisons once again use
Theta Hydrae and Psi Geminorum.

These are just my suggestions and other observers will have their own
favorites.

May your skies be clear!

Bob Lunsford