[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Telescopic results in Report Series?

George,

Apologies for the belated reply.  I'm still trying to clear my INBOX.

> I was wondering if telescopic observations from various individuals are
> included somewhere in IMO's Visual Meteor Data Report Series?

No.  They aren't.  The title has the word Visual as opposed to
Telescopic, however, I would have no objections to including this
information in the same volume.  The idea was, if I recall correctly,
to pool the plotted data into PosDat, a positional database.  Spatial
data are somewhat bulky for a paper report.  We don't see this for
visual data either.  I'd certainly like to see more analyses from
combined plotted visual data looking for weak showers.

We'd need a different format as there are additional data like the
telescope field of view and magnification, and the showers aren't the
same.  Some seem to be mostly telescopic.  Then there are the possible
radiants detected after analysis, say with the RADIANT package.  But
yes we could have a summary of the report provided I could turn it
round quick enough for the other guys.  The VMDB makes the report easy.
The hard work is entering the data.  Telescopic data take somewhat
longer to analyse than visual reports.  The latter are digital whereas
the telescopic are more analogue.  The observer doesn't perform shower
assignment.

I'll discuss the possibility with Rainer.

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: