[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT----SCIENCE NEWS "Does Light Have a Dark Side?

I know this is somewhat off topic; but Light Pollution is critical to our
effectiveness as meteor observers, so here goes.....

THIS IS THE COVER ARTICLE!

"NIGHT LIGHTS AND CANCER"

"Nighttime illumination might elevate cancer risk"

I just have to quote a little from the article...

"Since life began, one pattern has dominated the Earth's natural
environment-- a daily rhythm of intense sunlight alternating with nights of
near total darkness."

Ooooh, that sounds soooo nice :->

"Humans, the grand manipulators, have not been content to cede control of
their activity cycle to the heavens, however....Thanks to widespread
electrification, and color-corrected, high watt lightbulbs, synthetic
sunlight can now bombard city dwellers around the clock,"

"This attempt to erase the night <snip> may come with a price. At a
minimum, it can lead to chronic lack of sleep, diminishing the
effectiveness of the immune system. Some new studies, however, suggest the
possibility of an even more worrisome threat."

I'm on the way to work, so have just blast read the article, but the gist
is that light at night may alter production of meletonin, causing increased
incdence of estrogen related cancers, as well as promoting the growth of
other cancers.

Here's another great quote

"According to neuroendocrinologist Rusel J Reiter of the U of Texas Health
Science Center at San Antonio, the emerging science indicates that,
functionally, "light is a drug"- and that by "abusing it, we risk
imperiling our health""

I'm getting woozy from all this stuff :->

Anyway, here is info

SCIENCE NEWS  VOL 154 Number 16  Oct 17 1998..pp 248-250

Now, before I send this, let me see if there is something on their web site
Yes there is. URL is:

<www.sciencnews.org>

BTW, here are the references provided on the web page for this article