[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations Oct 19-20

Hey, Kim - that light dome you saw SOUNDS like the Zodiacal Light (the
spike of light that just follows evening twilight and just precedes the
morning dawn). However, Northwest was the wrong spot for it! So I'd say
you were blessed to see something I never have: the Northern Lights!

Good star counts by the way! I have trouble using "Star Count Area 8"
in darker skies, because it lies near the Milky Way, and is so DENSE.
(For the list, Area 8 is the triangle formed by Aldebaran and the two
"horn stars" of Taurus - namely zeta Tauri and gamma Aurigae/Alnath.
It's an easy IMO area to remember, so IS handy for brighter skies.)

As for me, I had another sadly disappointing night last night: after
fatigue kept me from observing Friday night, and the cloud cover ate
the rest of the weekend in New England, I was ready for clear, dark
skies last night. I drove the hour out to the nearest LM<7 site, but
true to New England form, massive Cirrus swept in and began forming
overhead within a half hour of my arrival... So still no ORI Teff!

Clear(er) skies to all,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: