[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations Oct 19-20

 ---- you wrote:
> Good Morning All !!
>
> What a gorgeous morning!!
>
> To start off, I went out and looking at the Northwest,saw a dome of
> light, with a triangle shape to the sky along with a spike of light,
> at approx. 310 degrees. I am assuming this could be the zodiacal
> light or geiginchin (sp)?? Suggestions??

In the morning sky, the zodiacal light will be in the East, stretching up into Leo and Gemini.  The gegenschein, faint and probably invisible in mag. 5.9 skies, should be near Saturn (directly opposite the Sun).

Two possibilities:  1) Faint auroral glow.  What you describe sounds a lot like the two auroras I've seen, and several members of my club were reporting aurorae the night before.   2)  Skyglow if there is a city or concentrated artificial light source in that direction.  In my neck of the woods, we have a really big dome of light in that direction that doesn't go away.  We call it "Portland" and try to face the opposite direction.

--
Wes Stone
http://www.lclarkdot edu/~wstone/