[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids - Oct.20/21

                                  October 20/21, 1998

 Well, it was clear and having to work early I went to bed early about 0030 UT. I was
rudely awoken by noisy neighbours at 0430 UT and got up and came to the university
to get some of the work done.
 From 0700 to 0800 UT I had an hour to kill, so I went up on the university roof to see
how the sky would look for the Leonids, it was pretty good, limiting mag was about 5.5,
counted 9 stars in the Pleaides, so I decided to look for some Orionids, in an hour
I saw 9. A good bright one of -2 white in color, with a 1/4 second train shot under
Taurus. The others were swift and between 0 and 1 magnitude, all were white in color
and none left any trails. Then it was back to the maps and out of the wind. In all
this was my 2nd time in many years I have seen more than 1 Orionid!

Clear skies...
Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Lab Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             Fax: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA  B3H 4J1                     My ASTRONOMY Web Page:
                                http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed
Observing Chairman
Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Halifax Center