[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs)subvisible meteors was Zodiacal light questions

At 03:50 PM 10/20/98 -0400, you wrote:

<snip>

>Are there sub-visible meteor showers in which individual meteor particles
>are never massive enough to create incandescence visible to the human eye?
>
>Tom Ashcraft
>72632.1427@compuserve.com
Aside from the continuing infall of cosmic dust you mean? I have seen a
diffuse meteor once during a Geminid shower. It was a red, small but
definitely diffuse object. The red colour suggests a cloud of small hence
more rapidly slowed objects. Presumably if objects were much smaller they
would not get hot enough to glow. But I have only ever seen such a
phenomenon once.
Nick
Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 7EW ,Scotland, UK.
 Latitude 55 24'56" Longtitude 4 26' 00".
"Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
 Enwrought with golden and silver light,
 The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
 Of night and light and the half-light, ....."
    He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven by W.B. Yeats